REGIONAL COUNTERDRUG TRAINING ACADEMY
COUNTERTERRORISM FOR STATE AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
(Preparing Investigators For New Challenges)
LENGTH : 28 hours (3 ½ days)
PREREQUISITE : None
CERTIFICATION : This course is POST certified in the states of Mississippi and Georgia and accepted for certification in other states.
DESIGNED FOR : This course is for police line officers and investigators, law enforcement supervisors and managers of law enforcement organizations, as well as support personnel, including crime and intelligence analysts and investigative research specialists.
GOAL : To act as a program for preventative operations by enhancing the effectiveness of state and local police to gather and share information and intelligence relating to terrorism indicators and potential terrorist threats, preventative procedures and protocols within all levels of the agency and, if required, respond to terrorism-related reports, suspects and/or incidents.
COURSE OBJECTIVES :
- Identifying terrorist targets, cells, suspects and indicators
- Developing an awareness of terrorist motivations, organizations and terrorist cell operations
- Developing an awareness of terrorism-related criminal activities and funding mechanisms
- Developing or expanding intelligence capabilities to create a more robust information analysis and dissemination capability relating to terrorism
- Developing plans and procedures for agency actions in response to elevated national threat warnings
- Assessing and responding to the threats of terrorism generally, as well as conducting threat assessments for specific targets within the community
- Developing mechanisms to prevent terror attacks—target hardening
- Monitoring individuals who pose potential terrorist threats and those individuals who may have knowledge of plans for terror attacks
- Apprehending those who attempt, conspire, facilitate, and/or commit a terrorist-related crime
- Managing fear and rumor associated with terrorist threats and attacks
- Working within the community to develop sources for terrorism-related information and create community partnerships for counterterrorism.